Musicians and Hearing Loss Resources
Resources for musicians and bands to inform them about the risks of hearing loss and help them protect their hearing. Also check out our musician health resources.
- H.E.A.R. | Hearing Education and Awareness for Rockers
"H.E.A.R. Hearing Education and Awareness for Rockers is a nonprofit (501c3) organization dedicated to raising awareness of the dangers of noise exposure that can lead to permanent hearing loss and tinnitus. Damage to hearing is typically cumulative and irreversible, not immediately detectable, and it can occur from almost any contemporary music source or event."
- Hearing Loss Is More Common Than Diabetes
The state of hearing loss in America.
- Hear the Music: Hearing Loss Prevention for Musicians
Edited by Dr. Marshall Chasin, a leading audiologist for musicians with hearing loss. The focus is on prevention using musicians ear plugs, especially for orchestra musicians. PDF.
- The Importance of Hearing Damage Prevention in Musicians’ Work
Hearing health is probably the most precious tool musicians have, but many of are them taking it for granted.
- Lessons on the Science of Sound + Protecting Your Hearing
PDF from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to help teachers teach the science of sound and protecting your hearing for grades 3-6.
- Music Making and Hearing Loss: Information for Musicians on Preventing or Managing Hearing Loss
Musicians have unique needs regarding hearing loss and hearing conservation. Different types of musicians may find different approaches and strategies towards hearing health useful to them.
- Musicians' Hearing Health Scheme
Provided by the Independent Society of Musicians, the UK’s professional body for musicians and subject association for music.
- National Hearing Conservation Association
"We are a group of passionate hearing conservationists willing to share their expertise to prevent hearing loss. NHCA members include occupational and clinical audiologists, industrial hygienists, occupational health nurses, acoustical engineers and technicians, physicians, occupational health and safety professionals, military personnel, university professors, students, researchers and others with an interest in hearing conservation."
- Noise and Occupational Hearing Loss
The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) information on preventing occupational noise-induced hearing loss.
- Occupational Noise Exposure, U.S. Department of Occupational Safety and Health
Provides detailed information about hearing loss and how to prevent it.
- Safe Sounds - New Orleans Musicians' Clinic and Assistance Foundation
"The New Orleans Musicians’ Clinic and Assistance Foundation’s Safe Sounds wellness program provides resources and preventive health education aimed at protecting New Orleans’ hearing by working to reduce the number of noise-induced hearing disorders."
- Three Tips for Choosing the Right Hearing Protector
Hearing protection comes in so many styles, materials, color, and sizes – how can you know which is best for you?
- The Ultimate Guide to Hearing Loss Causes and Prevention
Collected information on how hearing works, how hearing loss happens within specific types of jobs, and what you can do to protect your hearing at home and at work. Information provide Cloudcover Media, a Pandora Media company.
Last updated: 7/21/2023